Posted by Christina Brooke Nov 27 2014, 12:30 am
To all our American friends who celebrate it, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
I must apologise that this post is not in the spirit of thankfulness. I come from Australia, where we’re not grateful for anything
No, that’s not true, but I do think it’s a lovely tradition to take a day to think about what you’re grateful for. And the huge yummy feast doesn’t hurt, either!
So, for those of us who are not gathering with loved ones over turkey and stuffing, today I’m talking once more about guilty pleasures.
Much as I try to live up to my highly sophisticated sobriquet in the lair, (i.e. Madame), I must on occasion admit to several guilty pleasures that might well knock me off that pedestal of elegance. (My tongue is firmly in cheek here, by the way!)
So here is a quick and severely truncated list of my guilty pleasures:
1. Nutella straight out of the jar. Is there anything that goes better with chocolate than hazelnut? At least I have not reverted to my high school days when I would spread Nutella on a chocolate chip cookie… Yum!
2. Pop music. I know I should love classical or jazz or at the very least complicated ‘alternative’ music, but give me a various artists CD of 1980s chart toppers and I’m happy. I will sometimes listen to Mozart when I’m writing but while I would *like* to be that cultured, classical will never be my first choice.
3. The Vampire Diaries. Really? A show about high school/college students dealing with vampires, werewolves and witches should not be my cup of tea. But I am HOOKED on this series. HOOKED, I tell you! Doesn’t matter how many ridiculous twists and turns the storyline has, I’m there because I love the characters and the way they interact. Plus the great one-liners. Not to mention that Ian Somerhalder is amazingly fun to watch.
4. BBQ Pork Spare Ribs. I know they are bad for me but I order them whenever I can. Sadly, most restaurants I go to don’t have them on the menu. Oh, but they should! They absolutely should.
5. Not having a smart phone. I am a bit strange but I don’t like to be available wherever I go. My friends know that it’s a huge pain for me to text from my ancient Nokia, so they tend to email rather than text. On one memorable occasion, I answered a happy new year text in April.
When I first had a cell phone the only people who had my number were my babysitter and my agent. Eventually I had to give the number to my husband *G*. Now, far too many people want to communicate with me by text so I suppose I’ll have to bite the bullet and get a smart phone, but that guilty pleasure is a hard one to give up!
What about you? Any guilty (or slightly weird but proudly indulged) pleasures you’ll admit to? Come on, we’re all friends here!
Posted in Christina Brooke, Guilty Pleasures, Nutella, The Vampire Diaries