On The Eighth Yummy Day…
Posted by Tawny Weber Dec 21 2015, 4:00 am
Happy Holidays, everyone!!! Its such a wonderful time of year, and so great to celebrate with the Bandits and Bandita Buddies. I love tho time of the year for so many reasons, not the least of which is the food. Oh, the yummy food. For all the other blessings and joys at this time of year, I often come back to the food. Often for seconds! Because there are so many goodies that we only have at Christmastime. That makes those delicious goodies even more special, doesn’t it?
Here are a few of my favorites…
- Cranberry bread. I love bread of all kinds, but only make cranberry bread at the holidays. My favorite recipe has a hint of orange.
- Fudge. I know there is fudge year ’round, and to be honest, I’ve tried it at other times. But it never tastes as good as it does at Christmastime. Ever. We already have chocolate walnut, chai and cranberry pistachio made here.
3. Almond Toffee. Oh man, I love almond toffee. Its my dad’s favorite. Its my father-in-laws favorite. Its my husband’s favorite. We go through a lot of almond toffee this time of year!
4. Pecan Caramels. My mother makes the most amazing, delicious, mouth watering caramels. I have her recipe and have tried to make them but mine are never as good as hers. I think its that extra sprinkle of magic mother’s always stir in. Maybe some day my kids will say they like how I make something best *g*
5. Tamales! We gather together and, assembly line style, make a huge batch of tamales on Christmas Eve. My husband is the expert with his grandma’s recipe, and leads the cooking. But we all race to the eating!
6. Roast. I’ve been a vegetarian longer than I’ve been married, but every Christmas I make my husband a roast dinner, complete with little potatoes and carrots and yeast rolls. I figure it’s my gift to him 😀
If you’re in the baking mood, here’s my recipe for Cranberry Bread.
My Mom’s Favorite Cranberry Bread
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons shortening
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
3/4 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 1 large loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans.
Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan.
Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on rack for 15 minutes before taking out of pan to cool completely.
I plan on curling up to enjoy a slice or two of this treat while reading over the holiday break. If you’re in the mood for a fun, fast read, my holiday SEAL, A SEAL’s Proposal, is on sale for only .99 this week!
Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo
How about you? Are there any special treats that you only get to enjoy this time of year? What’s your favorite?
If you share in the comments, I’ll draw one name to win an autographed copy of A SEAL’s Temptation, and a Sexy SEAL swag bag!!!