I’m Thankful for…
Posted by Donna MacMeans Nov 23 2016, 12:25 am
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. We’ll be surrounded by family, including a spanking new two month old grandson, to stuff our faces with turkey, stuffing, potatoes and pie. Yum! I don’t know why, but we always make enough food to feed a small army. My daughter says she does that on purpose so she doesn’t have to cook for another week, however, the leftovers never last THAT long. We send a lot of the food home with our guests so they can have a meal or two.
At least, that was the plan in early November. I was in Orlando in the middle of the month and came home with a nasty cold which I immediately shared with my husband. My daughter came home this evening with a cough. Ugh. I can’t invite my son to bring the baby into this. So I was having my own personal pity party when I decided to make a list of the things I’m thankful for – to snap myself out of this funk. Here goes:
- I have a new grandson – my first! Looking forward to reading him stories.
- I’ve written nine books – nine! If I can finish the one I’m working on, I’ll get a shiny pin from RWA :-), a lot of satisfaction, and a cleared plate to start on number eleven :-). It’s the start of a legacy!
- Speaking of legacy, I finished an eight year (at least) cross-stitch project. I’m surrounding the blog with pics of the skirt 🙂 I’m anxious to see it under the tree.
- The house looks good. We hosted a dinner party on Friday night (I came down with the cold on Saturday) which went well. Now the house is ready for Thanksgiving guests…of course my office is
unusable as everything is stashed there behind a closed door. 🙂
- Speaking of dinner parties, I’m grateful for my friends. I belong to a group of couples that meets every couple of months for dinner. We’ve been doing this for thirty years! Then there’s my writer friends – they understand the way only writers can, and my fabulous readers – love you guys to death!
- Got to see France this year! Oh, and San Diego back in July– and traveled around Florida in January and November. It’s been an exceptional travel year.
- Everyone in the family is healthy…except for this cold which will evidentually go away. Things could be much worse.
- This Thanksgiving HAS to be better than last year’s celebration when we were staying in a local hotel while our floors were repaired. We didn’t celebrate with family, we went to a restaurant with poor service that served a crappy meal about an hour after our reservation. Yeah! This year will be better than that – even if we won’t be able to taste all the homemade goodness.
I’m feeling better already. Seriously better. My throat doesn’t hurt as much and I haven’t had a serious coughing streak in quite a while. I can see that there’s lots to be thankful for this year, even if the holiday isn’t quite the “perfect” I was anticipating. Life is good.
How about you? Any special plans for this thanksgiving? Any surprises from past celebrations? Oh, I have prizes! Remember when I did my September blog about France and I mentioned I had misplaced some purchased bookmarks? I found them. 🙂 Two people leaving a comment will be the owner of one of these magnetic bookmarks.
So let’s chat! And have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!
Join me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/donna.macmeans